       Thanks.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 9:22 PM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi :)
I think Dan's point is key.

If you don't seem to need it then don't use it.  I thik that's a good
general rule.  A bit like if no-one is in the kitchen then why have the
lights on in there?

Micheal Meeks was saying that it's still ok to write Extensions in Java
but you are not writing Extensions.  You are like me, just a normal user.
 His advice does seem to contradict everything i am hearing about Java at
the moment.  The devs seem to have put a lot of effort into reducing the
amount of Java to the point where most users are unlikely to ever need it.

However, Micheal is one of the lead devs and well respected so he is much
more likely to really know what is really going on whereas my information
is 2nd or 3rd hand and i'm not a dev so i could easily be missing some
crucial points.  I think maybe i was a bit too harsh about blaming Oracle
for all of Java's problems.  Maybe it was horribly broken before or that
currrent problems were inevitable or maybe reported problems are
over-stated.

I switched Java off months ago and had no problems so i finally
uninstalled it around December and still had no problems.  I think that is
the best route.  Removing Java completely could be troublesome so it's best
to have a trial-period of seeing if you can do without it before
uninstalling it.  You probably wouldn't take the bulb out of the kitchen
light just because you didn't think you would go into the kitchen at night.
 It appears that Homeland Security in the US are recommending people
uninstall it but that could be a bogus report and even if not then it seems
they may not have considered the implications for normal or corporate users.

A couple of machines at my place where Java is still installed grumble
when i open Firefox now, roughly since the Homeland Security report
apparently.  Firefox now offers to update various plugins and things such
as Adobe Flash-Player, Adobe Reader(?!) and Java but then tells me it's
automatically blocked Java for me anyway.

Regards from
Tom :)