Jay Lozier wrote:
On 03/14/2013 02:08 PM, Girvin R. Herr wrote:

Jay Lozier wrote:
<Let's do some snipping here....>
I have been noticing how paranoid MySQL has been getting. That paranoia has a place, but for those of us who have local-only databases on a firewalled LAN, it would be nice to ease up on that paranoia and get more functionality. Now I hear that MySQL 5.5+ no longer uses localhost as the older versions did. It virtually takes over localhost bind functionality, all in the name of greater security. Good grief! I will find out soon. I am in the process of upgrading to Slackware 14.0 which comes with MySQL 5.5.
Girvin

I base my system upgrades (whichever 'buntu I decide to use) based on the MariaDB releases. I find the MySQL paranoia aggravating. It is almost as if Oracle is trying to break the community edition of MySQL while forgetting there are couple of very good forks available.
I am keeping an eye on this. Slackware is very pro open source. There are many software packages that Slackware does not bundle due to the Open Source pedigree being tainted. With MySQL going the way it is, I would not be surprised if some day in the near future, Slackware will change to Mariadb. I generally update when I start having obsolescence problems that would be difficult to resolve. Right now, I am even getting complaints from ebay about my old Firefox, but upgrading it would require major core library changes and I am not willing to do that. Also, my current Slackware, 12.2, is now at the bottom of the security updates list. Soon it will no longer be supported. So, it is time.
Girvin