Dan,
That is another issue. It is good that you were able to get MySQL back when you needed it. I think what I read was that Mariadb changed the database itself somehow, making it incompatible with MySQL. Thus, all the work done on it with Mariadb was lost from the last MySQL-compatible database backup. That is scary - lost data.

I just went searching again for where I read this caveat and came up with this posting by "ppr:kut" to LinuxQuestions.org on 1-31-13:

   "I'm not sure what problems you imagine, but I'm not aware of any
   issues. You wouldn't be able to switch easily from MariaDB back to
   MySQL once you start using MariaDB specific features, but that's
   clear from the start."

You can find this message and others on:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/replace-mysql-with-mariadb-in-slackware-4175447832/

Now that I read it again, it sounds like they might be talking about Mariadb user features, not database compatibility. Kind of like someone who moves from msoffice to LO can't go back because they like the LO features. I would like to know if anyone has tried to go back to MySQL from using Mariadb and how *physically* successful it was.
Sorry about the confusion.
Girvin

Dan Lewis wrote:
I agree. That will go into the chapter on using Base to connect to various data sources. I think that was originally scheduled to be chapter 8 or 9, but I think this chapter should be moved up to chapter 5. Personal experience: I used synaptic to completely remove mariadb including the config files. Then when I tried to reinstall MySQL, synaptic insisted on installing a mariadb file instead of the mysql file. So, I reinstalled Ubuntu 12.04. Now I have MySQL back.

--Dan