On 03/13/2013 07:12 PM, Girvin R. Herr wrote:

Jay Lozier wrote:
On 03/13/2013 02:47 PM, Girvin R. Herr wrote:
Dan,
That is another issue. It is good that you were able to get MySQL back when you needed it. I think what I read was that Mariadb changed the database itself somehow, making it incompatible with MySQL. Thus, all the work done on it with Mariadb was lost from the last MySQL-compatible database backup. That is scary - lost data.

I just went searching again for where I read this caveat and came up with this posting by "ppr:kut" to LinuxQuestions.org on 1-31-13:

   "I'm not sure what problems you imagine, but I'm not aware of any
   issues. You wouldn't be able to switch easily from MariaDB back to
   MySQL once you start using MariaDB specific features, but that's
   clear from the start."

You can find this message and others on:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/replace-mysql-with-mariadb-in-slackware-4175447832/

Now that I read it again, it sounds like they might be talking about Mariadb user features, not database compatibility. Kind of like someone who moves from msoffice to LO can't go back because they like the LO features. I would like to know if anyone has tried to go back to MySQL from using Mariadb and how *physically* successful it was.
Sorry about the confusion.
Girvin
Girvin, Dan

I once "updated" from MariaDB 5.5.x to MySQL 5.5.y then to MariaDB 5.5.y. I use MariaDB via localhost and found that the permissions are different. MariaDB default allows apps like MySQL Workbench to do bulk data inserts from files while MySQL does not. With MySQL I had to use the CLI version to do the inserts. I was unable to set the permissions in MySQL to allow MySQL Workbench to do bulk data inserts.

I am using Linux Mint Maya / 13. 64 bit. I have not yet tried the MySQL Connector and Base (LO 4.0.0.3). This might be an issue between the two forks.

Jay

Jay,
Thanks for the information. I will file it away for the time I migrate to mariadb. So, let me get this straight - the mariadb server allows the MySQL apps to work better than with the MySQL server?! That is amusing. For the record, I am using Slackware 12.2 32-bit and the mysql-connector-java with LO 3.6.4.3.
Thanks again.
Girvin

I remember seeing (MySQL website?) where the change was made by MySQL to not allow this by default for security reasons while MariaDB maintained the old permissions. What is puzzling to me is that many who use MySQL or MariaDB via localhost are doing development or off-line database work and are not using remote access. I understand requiring tighter permissions if the database can be manipulated remotely to avoid major problems.

What was odd, I could issue TRUNCATE database but INSERT LOCAL FILE 'sdf.csv' etc would fail. I would think the opposite would be preferable.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com