I have been using Windows since Win95 days, whether I liked it or not. I have been using Linux more than Windows since Feb 2010.

The only real problem I had with Windows and Fonts, was almost every time I installed a new packages, it seemed to want to add a set of fonts to the /fonts/ folder whether I wanted them or not. Some did not give me any choice. One dumped almost 120 new fonts into that folder, and it was not something I expected would have any and did not give me the option to say I do not want them.

Yes, LibreOffice may, with some OS version, place fonts in a folder of their choosing and not mine or the normal place[s] where they are kept, but it is not as bad as some I have dealt with. One wanted to add over 550 fonts to my Windows font folder. That was a vector graphic package back in the Win XP days.

What I do, when I find these other font folders, is make sure I copy the fonts to a "storage" folder and then install them so the rest of the packages can access them. I did that with the LO fonts including the DejaVu ones.