I think part of the problem is that LO does place fonts in a folder that is not the system's font folder. So if the user has some DejaVu fonts already installed, LO may use its version of fonts over the ones the user installed. Also there would be some fonts in the LO list that are not in the font list for any other package.

One problem may be that LO cannot install the fonts in the different distro's font folders. Windows-based, DEB-based, RPM-based, Mac-based, systems all have different ways of installing fonts. So it may be hard to get the font installation for each OS or distro of Linux to work properly.

Still, there are issues with package loading up a Windows systems with all the different fonts that "they" want and not the user choice of fonts. Some packages require a specific font for their operation, and do not use the "default" system fonts. That can be a problem for users to reduce the number of fonts in their font folder[s]. Ubuntu hides many fonts in their /usr/share/fonts/ folder system. I see Type 1 fonts listed and I do not know why Ubuntu would need Type 1 fonts now that TTF and OTF fonts are the "standard" font format. But, I will not remove them since they were installed for a reason. The only installed fonts the system installed are the ones that were designed for Asian, India, and Arabic type of language fonts.

As for the "closeness" between versions of Windows, or Linux, it all depends on the desktop environment and where/how they store the system "values". Windows tends to change the placement of program and user data with every new version. The only thing that seems to change between a Ubuntu or Debian based distro is the desktop environment. For our windows users, that is the way the display show all of the needed items to do the work. Think the visual differences between XP, Vista, Win7, and the pain of Win8. Think of how you use the "Start Button" or task bar items. Linux has many different "display" types. Ubuntu can have its display look many different ways. My Ubuntu 12.04 can use the "tile based" Unity, or other desktop environments like KDE, MATE, Cinnamon, or a variety of others to change the look and feel of the desktop, making it look like different OSs, even though it is the same OS but different ways of seeing and using things. I personally have Unity, KDE and MATE installed for my Ubuntu 12.04 system.