Hi Stephen,

On Wed, 2013-02-06 at 07:11 +1100, Stephen Morris wrote:
On 02/06/2013 04:56 AM, Michael Meeks wrote:
    Adding the features you need to the core, so everyone can enjoy them
out of the box is almost certainly the best way to achieve your goals -
and (after all) C++ is not so distantly related to Java :-)

     I have already downloaded to source code and had considered
modifying the code directly, but thought and extension might be easier
and simpler, but if writing an extension means that it won't be
guaranteed of making the product then modifying the code is the better
way to go.

        Right ! in my experience it's almost always -much- simpler to edit the
core code directly :-)

 I haven't looked at C++ in a long time but it shouldn't be
that difficult to pick up again, and it should be easy to get the code
suite into my Eclipse development environment once I update it for C++.

        Sounds great.

I'm also running out of time for relating Calc's compatibility to Excel
2002 as in April/May the organisation I work for is upgrading to 2010,
so I may just have to develop for compatibilty with that.

        :-)

 I have 2010 installed on this machine at home, but it is running
under Windows and I'll be doing my development work under Linux, and
last time I looked Office 2010 doesn't run under Wine nor CrossOver Office.

        So - often transferring files to/from a virtual-machine works; I use
Office 2007 under Codeweavers Wine just fine (well a few rendering
glitches from time to time but good for quick interop. testing).

        Out of interest do you have a bug or two you want to hack on there ?
the Pivot table code is in:

        sc/source/core/data/dp*.cxx (last I looked)

        and the UI pieces in places like:

        sc/source/ui/dbgui/dpgroupdlg.cxx

        Better than that - we have unit tests for this stuff which live in:

        sc/qa/unit/ucalc.cxx /testPivotTable/

        and other bits there. I'd recommend getting some sample documents setup
that expose the new core features you want - and play with the master
branch there. Of course this is best discussed on the developers list
(no subscription required) which I've CC'd.

        HTH,

                Michael.