On 01/07/2013 06:29 PM, kahu wrote:
I really would like to see a "fix" for this which would allow for other users
to open "dotx" files within our organization by simple steps--not just me,
but something I can recommend to anyone else.  If it is a technical process
of extraction I think using another software would be the only other option
for others unfortunately.

The content you found in the header and footer is also what appears when
rendering in Word.  In LibreOffice 3.6, 4.0b2 I don't think I have any
content at all in the heading, but it reads "Heading (Converted1)".  I have
not seen the "converted" part before.

Here is another file which was a "dotx" and then saved within Word 2010 to a
"doc" format:
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0HMHW6qyzS-MWZrNHd4dTB5TnM
I can open it fine in LibreOffice, but not edit the body at all--instead it
prompts for a password (which is what I think is supposed to protect the
header/footer content). Opening this file in Word the body can be edited
without a password prompt.

I also get the same (linux 3.6.4.3). However, if I do a 'Save As' on the
file (to .doc/.odt/.ott) and then reopen the 'saved as' in LO, the
password protection is gone & I can then edit. Give it a try to see if
you can do the same. I suspect that something in the .doc is setting a
password protection flag - and then re-saving removes it.

Note: Saving as a .docx screws up the header. The footer seems OK.