If All he wants to do is format his page in a certain way and then fill in the translations himself from his knowledge or some outside machine translation, I have seen similar things before.

Best would be a human translation to get the job done correctly.

I have seen several books and other text where one column is in English and another one in its original language. Usually these text/documents were originally written over 300 years ago in a language "version" that is rarely used anymore or is so old that it is like English vs. the "Old English" of Beowolf's days.

So, if all you need is a word processor that can do a nice page format, LibreOffice should do the trick nicely. Now doing the translation work, I know of no free package that works well at all.