On 10/31/2012 07:28 PM, Heinrich Stoellinger wrote:
Hi Ian,
To be honest - I am somewhat confused regarding the issue of "where is the native connector"! It might be that going to extensions and then download/installing the native connector (for OpenOffice) does the trick. On the other hand, I think that it should come automatically with the newest versions of LO. The definition
of a natively connected MySQL database goes as follows:
- (1) connect to an existing database, then select "MySQL" from the drop-down list (JDBC is shown as the first item in that list! MySQL is third from
      bottom in my case)
- (2) on the next dialog box select "direct connection" (direkte Verbindung in
      German)
- (3) on the next dialog box specify the database name, server name, IP-address or localhost (127.0.0.1) and port (usually 3306) or else the socket file
      (possible in case of a local server)
- (4) then specify the username and whether a password has to be given on
      connection
- (5) then store the odb-file.
Hope this is of use to you...
Regards
Thanks again Heinz

But I think we must have different versions of LO. Your 'Step 1' is OK for the first part, (and it's what I did before), but the second part here only gives me the options...

   o Connect using ODBC
   o Connect using JDBC

   So knowing the JDBC does not work I tried ODBC but that gives me....

       /Could not load the program library libodoc.so.1 or it is corrupted.
       The ODBC data source selection is not available./

       A search on my Hard Drive for 'libodoc' finds nothing and also
       Synaptic does not find it. I than looked under the Extension
       Manager in LO and found the 'Native Connector' written by my
       friend Alex Thurgood, (who seems to have vanished off eMail at
       the moment!!). But I see it is only a Pre-release for Ubuntu and
       I'm running PCLinuxOs - so will it work on my machine and if so
       do I just download it or what?

       IanW
       Pretoria SA.