Hi Ian,
To be honest - I am somewhat confused regarding the issue of "where is the
native connector"! It might be that going to extensions and then download/installing
the native connector (for OpenOffice) does the trick. On the other hand, I think
that it should come automatically with the newest versions of LO. The definition
of a natively connected MySQL database goes as follows:
- (1) connect to an existing database, then select "MySQL" from the drop-down
      list (JDBC is shown as the first item in that list! MySQL is third from
      bottom in my case)
- (2) on the next dialog box select "direct connection" (direkte Verbindung in
      German)
- (3) on the next dialog box specify the database name, server name, IP-address
      or localhost (127.0.0.1) and port (usually 3306) or else the socket file
      (possible in case of a local server)
- (4) then specify the username and whether a password has to be given on
      connection
- (5) then store the odb-file.
Hope this is of use to you...
Regards
P.S.: It's already getting warmer here again! This usually coincides with
      bad weather in Italy which in turn causes warm winds to come across
      the Alps