Hello Ian,
Just one question: the "native" MySQL-Connector should be included in
3.6.2. I had a lot of trouble in the past with it, but now it seems to be
the best choice of all the possible connectors (Native, ODBC, JDBC).
In any case, reading through your steps - I think that
- the database name should be the name of the database as defined in the
  create database statement of MySQL
- did you specify the correct path for the jdbc-connector?
Regards (from snowed-in Salzburg)
Heinz