I would say the code is "getting better". I've only been on the project a
few months so I can't say how much progress we've made but I know that we
still have a build time of 4+ hours which says a lot. The code is still a
bit tricky, not enough comments left by previous developers, etc...

Also, I would argue that "our project" (meaning LibO, we don't use LO ;) ),
is quite small still. We have a very small team of developers who routinely
(>1 patch per week) contribute, a slightly bigger team that submits at
least one patch a month, and then a couple hundred that have submitted 1 or
2 patches in the course of several months (this includes myself ). We could
probably double our number of developers doing 1 patch or so a month and
still be in need for quite a few more.

Regards,
Joel