Hi :)
Did you uninstall all versions of 'LO' that you got from "some freeware site" and do an antivirus
scan?  Did you download the 3.5.6 or 3.6.something LO from the official site and install as
advised?

Is there any chance of giving us a screen-shot?

Also, just out of curiosity, have you used Win7 on any machine other than your own?  Has anyone
else used your machine that might have some familiarity with Win7 when it's properly installed?
Did you install Win7 or was it already on the machine when you bought it?

Btw Abiword can save files in MS formats but you have to do
File - "Save As ..."
You can't set it to default to MS formats.  I tried nagging them about it but gave up.  The native
format it uses is the OpenDocument Format, same as LO, same as almost every other word-processing
program except MS and even they purport to support it as a non-native format.  So, people using MS
Office 'should' be able to open your documents created in AbiWord.  I did mention all this when i
made some suggestions about what other free word-processors were out there although not in as much
detail.

Regards from
Tom :)