1. The full worksheet as chart in excel are converted to embedded charts in those sheets (no full
charts).

I don't think that feature is available in Calc.

However, you may move your chart (by cut and paste) onto a separate sheet, of course.

2. Legends are peculiar. They are named as "column?" and not any text string that I would like to
give.

That “Column ...” is shown only when you deselect “First row as label” but don't specify any other
text as legend label.

To change the legend text in your chart, go to the “Data Series” dialog.

  If not done already, switch chart into edit mode:
    double click on chart

  Then:
    “Format” menu
    → “Data Ranges...”
    → “Data Series”

There you can for each data series select “Name” and then enter into the “Range for Name” field
either
  - a string in double quotes "like this" or
  - a reference to a cell that has the text you want

-rl