On 10/09/2012 02:47 PM, MiguelAngel wrote:
El 09/10/12 19:52, Viral Orpe escribió:
Hi :)

Thanks for your time and replies.
I could stop fighting calc to show me the chart as a single worksheet!

I was charting the stock market data (available in daily doses to be bunched neatly in weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly batches) in candlestick form. Both Excel and Calc do not allow any other lines on the candlestick charts (moving averages, e.g.). It robs the ease of analysis (and make me dependent on some websites that offer it - currently for free :) but I never liked the dependence)

I read somewhere* what Shakespeare wrote of vaulting ambition :)
Since, I have no spur to prick my intent, as of today I can't start vaulting onto tweaking CALC source code to add a new chart type.

But, it would be fun and a taste + test of the Linux promise of free(dom)!
Hope I reach the promised land one day.

Any pointers are welcome.

again, thanks for your time,
regards,
Viral Orpe

p.s.
*Vaulting Ambition :)
http://www.shakespeare-online.com/plays/macbeth/soliloquies/blow.html

(spur: I know just C, data structures, and presently am learning shell scripting. Nothing about Linux kernel/ internals and have never written software in a
professional team)

Have you tried to overlap several charts with different types?. I think this is possible if you set for each, the background of the the graphics area, as 100% transparent. Even more, you can use the result of the cells below the chart as part of it.
Miguel Ángel.

I am not acquainted with a candlestick chart. Is it perhaps a bar graph? I am also wondering why a database is not used for this? Queries can be created to manipulate the data which can then be linked to a Calc spreadsheet. Then the charts can be created for this. This is likely to take some detailed planning, but it might be worth it.

--Dan