       Thanks for your response.

       This makes me so glad that I do not upgrade anything immediately -
           I'd rather wait until all the kinks are removed.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi :)
Reason for so many problems in last couple of weeks is the new release of
a new branch of LO.

Each new branch should try to add as much functionality as it reasonably
can to attract new people and to give the devs a chance to really show-off
and get on with interesting things.  Unfortunately the side-effect is that
unexpected things and often completely unrelated things that 'shouldnt' be
affected sometimes go wrong.  Roughly the equivalent of going out to buy an
ice-cream and getting back to find a magpie built a nest in your filing
cabinet.

As a branch matures the devs fix those problems (and longer-standing
issues) and include their fixes in the "service packs".  So 3.6.1 is likely
to have less problems and then the 3.6.2 has even less and so on until it
reaches around 3.6.4.

But by then it has become less exciting to work on so a lot of the devs
will have drifted over to new functionality that will be added in the next
new branch.  Not all devs want exciting new toys, many have a tendency to
worry a specific problem to death but that can often become an unhealthy
obsession too.  A fresh pair of eyes can sometimes spot where a dev has
managed to shake something loose and come up with a simpler answer.

After months of detailed work on a specific issue a dev might then be into
chasign shiny new toys for a while (or just leave the project and run
screaming from the room).  Hopefully people that chase shiny new toys
sometimes get sucked into getting bogged down in a single issue again.  For
some people i would guess that's a repeating cycle.

Of course many of the companies that support LO do invest employee
dev-time into LO and they get a lot less choice about what they work on, so
their burn-out rates are probably higher.

Just my thoughts really.  Any stereotype fails in the light of reality.
Regards from
Tom :)