On Thu, 9 Aug 2012, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:

On 08/08/2012 at 23:40, Felmon Davis <davisf@union.edu> wrote:

but a quick question: are you an 'intuitionist' about proofs?

As far as I can imagine what it means, I believe answer is "no".
I am rather relativist. I believe that what is proof for one person, may not be proof for another one.

World is too complicated for one person to understand it all. Therefore we must take shortcuts and put faith in some other people. We must believe that when someone says "something was proven", and scientific community does agree, then it was independently checked by people capable of understanding that. Most people would say "it is truth, it has been proven". I would say "I believe that scientists did their job right. I believe that »something« is true. I, personally, can not prove that. Therefore, I do not »know« - I »believe«".

[ -- some text deleted -- ]

ok, got it.

strange about you relativists: your assertions of _belief_ often sound like expressions of _doubt_!

For interested readers, I would recommend (all available for English readers, with many translations to national languages):
- Alan Chalmers, What Is This Thing Called Science?
- Thomas Kuhn, The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
- Paul Feyerabend, Against method
[ --- text deleted --- ]

I think a more contemporary thinker roughly along these lines is Bas van Fraasen but I'm not up on my phil of science reading; might be worth a peek though.

thank you for the ideas!

F.

I have ordered them by difficulty level. The first one should be understandable even for people without any methodological background.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Felmon Davis

The more we disagree, the more chance there is that at least one of us is right.