On Aug 9, 2012, at 2:43 AM, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
The total costs of all that would be FAR lower by converting from Office 2003 or any of its
predecessors to LO compared to converting to Office 2007/2010.....users could at least get going
almost immediately with LO whereas the new ribbon seemed to be almost unfathomable to a lot of
people, so yes, going from one version of MS Office to a SIMILAR version (as in Office XP to
Office 2003 or Office 2007 to 2010) I agree. Going from a menu-based Office to a ribbon-based
Office no, I don't agree.

Actually, I not only totally agree, I am currently arguing for LO on precisely those grounds.  The
cost of licensing only gets me a hearing.  The argument that converting from early MO to current LO
is a smoother transition than upgrading to MS2011 is the one I think will carry the day.

I also argue that:
LO is showing significant strength, acceptance, and vigor, and therefor has a sufficient secure
future (important)
That ODT is the international "standard," not DocX (there is widespread distaste for DocX so this
works well politically)
LO is a better "cross-platform" product (the "media" business has a large Mac population,
unfriendly to MS)

Unfortunately, my arguments are largely unproven.  All it would take would be one important client
raving about their conversion to LO.  That could happen as our clients are largely non-commercial.
But, it has not.  Rather, they use very old versions of MS.

So back to the original thread.  No, we don't share ODT docs.  We share MS2000 docs.  In fact, all
documents are stored as MS2000, whether created by LO or MO.  I still advocate the MS2000 format as
the default, as it is still the single most widely supported document format in my corner of the
world... other than text/rtf.  We have never had a problem with a client opening an MS2000 format
doc.  Well, not in this decade anyway.

Cheers,
             tod

Tod Hopkins