On 09/08/12 00:56, Jay Lozier wrote:
On 08/08/2012 10:10 AM, anne-ology wrote:
        Tom, well done.

Maybe those at LO will listen, but I don't know what more they could
do;
            the problem probably originates from the States due to the
massive use of MSFT products ... hackers attack these ... MSFT responds
with their endless stream of fixes ... hackers continue to attack the
loop-holes ... ... ...
yet folks still are afraid to get away from MSFT products ;-)
Spreading FUD about other options other than MS products is very common. I do not know how often I have seen someone say how difficult Linux is to use or that most users need to use advanced features in MSO. The last IMHO is silly, most users do not use more than a few of the features regularly and do not know of many of the advanced features in MSO. The only real issue I see is that exact layout of the GUI is somewhat different and this may cause some issues initially.

I remember trying to get others to use Word templates many years ago and failing. They could not grasp the concept of a pre-defined, standard template. If users have trouble with a fairly basic and very handy feature I doubt they use any advanced features.

While I do not share ODF formats because the others I work with have MSO versions from 2003 to 2010, I have not found either the files I receive or send to be much more than "plain Jane" spreadsheets or Word/Write documents. Basically there is minimal formating and only basic features are used. Other than being displayed in a pretty format, these documents are not much more complex than typical documents from the mid to late 80's.

Without going into too much of the detail that is in another thread, I was talking about basic functionality in Calc with things like pivottables and charts. In the environment I work in I don't think there is a spreadsheet that non-automatically produced, right across the business, that does not have a pivottable. Excel allows features that either Calc refuses to allow, or Calc implements (in my view) in a really archaic way. Charts are the same. Also I'm a SAS developer, and I write lots of processes that automatically produce excel spreadsheets without the requirement to use excel, and, as far as I am aware it does not provide facilities for anything other than excel, so we couldn't migrate.

regards,
Steve