From my experience of working in the IT department of a very large college
with over 10 000 computers, it has nothing to do with functionality. 99.9%
of employees use office to type letters and send emails. For the .1% that
would use advanced features, policy probably disallows them anyway. Plus,
it is fairly trivial to have different images for those that need/want them.

The reason they don't migrate is because it would create more work for the
IT department, it is that simple. Plus there is no benefit as far as the IT
department is concerned. Office 2003 works, and whoever approves the budget
is just going to accept however much is put in there for it, that is if it
is actually a separate item and not bundled in with the other microsoft
licences.

Office = safe.
LO = risky + more work.