webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
On 07/24/2012 10:02 AM, James Knott wrote:
webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
That underwater cable network is used for both phone and Internet communication, since phone systems not seem to be converted to digital to go through the cables to give more "lines" of communication between countries

????

Are analog trunks still in use anywhere? The phone system has been digital for many years, long before there was an Internet. It'd have to be an extremely old cable to require analog trunks. Anything running over fibre would most certainly be digital.

They still have the cables and they are used. Mostly they are used as digital trunk lines, but not every one has been converted do to their age. The expense of laying a new fiber cable across a large body of ocean/sea is something that slows up the process of many parts of the world getting the better/faster connections. The poorer the country, or the less number of potential users of the service, the longer it will take for the giant communication companies to spend the type of money needed to give these users the type of service many of us enjoy. Europe has a better broadband system than most of the USA does. I saw a program for places like the Netherlands and other European countries where they have a very large section of their country with fiber to the home and they have many different companies to choose from for broadband. With that large competition for the broadband market, their Internet prices for 50 MB/s bandwidth is lower than my area of the USA for a 5 to 10 MB/s access. We have just two options. Cable modem service or a DSL service. We pay $50+ a month for either. On some science TV programming, they showed services for as little as $15 a month for the same services. It all comes down to how good is their trunk system and how the marketing controls over those trunk lines are regulated. For countries like New Zealand, they have to rely on a limited trunk cable on the ocean floor. I would wonder if it was possible to run a trunk line from their nation to Australia. Would it give them more access, or is Australia using the same trunk cable system as well.

This list <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_submarine_communications_cables> shows many cables going to New Zealand, though some have now been decommissioned. I see links to Canada, U.S., Australia, Fiji and other islands. As for local access, you might be interested in this article: <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8073>

These days, low bandwidth tends to be more of a political vs economic or technical issue. For example, in the U.S., someone else mentioned low bandwidth in some areas. Yet, in some states, the incumbent carriers have pushed for state laws that prohibit municipalities from providing Internet service in areas that the carriers refuse to. This leaves the residents with no access to high speed internet.