Mostly it is fiber/copper for world-wide communication.
That underwater cable network is used for both phone and Internet communication, since phone systems not seem to be converted to digital to go through the cables to give more "lines" of communication between countries, i.e. more phone connections between people. Long distance is now mostly Internet-based since it cost less to send phone through the communication networks between countries in a Internet-based digital phone system. That is what makes having a call center in India for a US based company so much as a viable option, cheap person to call center calling. If it was the old style phone connections, it would be too expensive.

SO
now there is a set of underwater cables between large land masses in the world, including island nations large enough, like New Zealand. A few years back, the cable running from the west coast of the US, down to South America, was tapped to give more options to a Central American country. They we using the cable connection on the eastern side of the country that was much older and over-taxed with users. This worked, but that tap reduced "bandwidth" to the countries to the south. But, the good part was if there was a problem with the cable to the north of the tap, the countries south of that problem could have their communications diverted through the Central American country's tap to the Caribbean cable network.

As for satellites, it is a more expensive route to go for digital communications. You need to have a powerful uplink and such on your end, but there are limits to how much bandwidth can be sent through a satellite nowadays. Also the "lag time" for satellite can be up to 15 seconds from ground station through a satellite to the ground station.