On 07/22/2012 11:05 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)
Ok, so i have posted 'a few' anti-MS posts but not everyone is ready to
suddenly jump into the alien world of the scary sounding GNu&Linux or
unix-based OSes.  Windows is supplied on almost every machine bought
anywhere in the world so why change at all?!

<SNIP>

On that note, Some here might enjoy my now ancient LXer article on this
subject:

I was sharing my experience of being without Windows for a full year back
in 2005.  I agree with Tom and KrackedPress on the general gist of changing
systems.  Take it slow and easy.  I did.  There is much less to worry about
with hardware issues these days, but the adjustment to little differences
in the desktops can be frustrating for some, until they are actually
adjusted.  :-)

My wife is now becoming more of a Linux user herself.  It has taken her a
while, but she is beginning to catch on.  She is a complete computer
novice, and had only a little experience with Windows before we met.  She
has this feeling of Windows as somehow more "user friendly", which was the
opposite of my experience.  At first she was excited, and later grew a bit
frustrated.  Now she seems to be enjoying her system a bit more.

I grew increasingly frustrated with Windows over the years and finally
managed to "kick the habit".  Even though I experience frustrations with
GNU & Linux-based systems, I prefer those frustrations over my experiences
with Windows any day of the week.

I would add that, if you are considering migrating a business, church or
non-profit organization from whatever to any of the GNU & Linux-based
systems, I really recommend hiring someone with some experience in
migrations (or at least knows how to go about it) to help you think through
the process.  There are a great many details that need to be worked
through.  It might cost a leg, but that's better than an arm and two legs -
not to mention the mutiny from users when the migration falls apart.  A
slow, gradual approach is best here as well - albeit even more so.

Regards,
Don
--
D.C. Parris, FMP, Linux+, ESL Certificate
Minister, Security/FM Coordinator, Free Software Advocate