I went into using Ubuntu 9.10 for my default system when I bought my current desktop. I still use 10.04 on it. I had run other version of Linux before going to Ubuntu, but Ubuntu was the only Live CD/DVD that allow the sound system to work properly on my HP AMD64 CPU laptop that I used for testing. I did not have this desktop then, but an old IBM server and a Dell laptop, along with the HP laptop.

I still use Windows from time to time. The HP Laptop is back running XP/pro [32-bit] and my Dell laptop dual boots Vista [32 bit] and 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 with MATE as its desktop environment so it works closely like my [generic custom built quad] desktop's 10.04/GNOME 2.xx system.

There are some software I still have not found a good Linux version for and there are some USB hardware that I have not found a good Linux driver for. So I still need Windows once in a while. I have people that need help with their Windows systems, mostly laptops, so I need to be able to boot up a Windows system to help them out. One day I hope to replace the Vista OS with Win7 on my dual boot Dell laptop. My HP laptop does not have enough free hard drive space to do a dual booting system.

ALSO
I have 2 USB drives for backing up my desktop, and also sharing media file with my Blu-ray player and other systems that require Windows-based drive formats. SO, I need a Windows system to defrag those USB drives. I have a 1 TB and a 2 TB USB external drive, so they can easily become fragmented when I update them with my files/folders that need to be backed up - I copy the file onto the external drives - from my desktop to the external ones. I have a 1 TB and a 2 TB internal drives on my Ubuntu desktop.

SO I still need Windows for some things.

YET, with using Ubuntu [GNOME or MATE] for several years now as my default OS, I still do not know all the ins and outs I use to know with the Windows systems. I still have not figured out all of the things I could do with my XP or Vista systems. I still am not completely comfortable with the Terminal and all of its uses. I know there are many, many, more things I could do with the Terminal that I never really learned. I still forget how to install LO on a Ubuntu system - sudo dpkg -i *.deb - sometimes. There are install options and other commands that people using Ubuntu, and other Linux distros, know how to do much better than I. I do not get into Ubuntu as much as I use to in the early days when I supported XP and Vista systems for others. I do not do even half of the things I use to do in the late '90's to mid 2000's with a computer. So I never really learned how to do some of the things I could do with my Linux systems.

SO
Anyone who really wants to learn how to use Linux as a replacement for Windows, try dual booting a system if you do not have a spare one to try Linux with as its only OS.

I started using Linux for the simple reason that I needed a package to convert AVI and MPEG video files into a TV DVD movie disc. My Windows software crashed and I could not longer get it working even with a re-install. So I found that the Linux software DeVeDe worked well. Now it comes with a Windows version, but not when I started using it on an P4 CPU IBM server made in 2000 and burned it on a USB DVD burner.

That was when I started looking at all the free software that Linux offered to its users. With a fixed income and the need to get a lot of different software, and many costing a lot for my Windows computers, I decided to look into using Linux - Ubuntu 9.10 for a few months till 10.04 came out - when I had the money to buy a quad CPU desktop.

Now I get to learn a new Linux-based OS - Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich - since now I have a 7-inch tablet costing about $100. It is not the best 7 inch tablet on the market, but it was what I could afford on my fixed income.

So, the short is:
Linux is a good OS to use, but you may still need to have a Windows system from time to time.

Another reason for keeping a Windows system available - testing:
K3b burns a great data disc, but the default "Windows and Linux" disc format does not work well for making a web-based DVD. It messes with the file names sometimes. I found that out the hard way when I tested the DVD on my Windows system. Now I use "Rock Ridge" file system for my DVD. There are other "default" CD/DVD burners, but K3b was the only one that I could easily define the CD's / DVD's file system. So I found out that way, that I needed to keep a Windows system to check that my DVDs will work on Windows. I do not have a MacOSX system, so I cannot check that OS out.