Just a PS to round off this thread. I never did get the MySQL ODBC connector
working but I found that I didn't have to. LO has a connector
libreoffice-mysql-connector that provides a connection to MySQL without
either ODBC or JCBC. This gives me what I want, at least in Linux.
Eventually I want to get LO working with MySQL in Windows XP and it
seems (is this true?) that there is no corresponding extension for
Windows. So I'll go back to working on ODBC, or possibly JDBC, until
I succeed. I'll use linux to work on the schema and come back to
Windows later.

Thanks to everyone. The solution via phpMyAdmin would do very well but
a bit too elaborate for what I want, though I may well use PHP
at some stage. I have a book on PHP and I'm impressed by its capability
and I've started learning it.

Regards from
Tony