On Feb 08, 2012, Pertti Rönnberg wrote:

On another thread, 'spreadsheet or database', one opinion seemed to
be that ordinary no-expert 'newies' are afraid of using dbs because
they feel it difficult, it requires planning and designing, queries
are too complicated, etc.

That is not my problem; I've been using databases since about 1985.
I already use MySQL in Linux but for this project I need Windows which
is why I am trying to connect with LO.

embedded HSQLDB -

I found that this doesn't work in Linux but it does in Windows. You
get a window where you can type SQL commands but I found you can do
select and create table but not show tables or describe so it is limited.

And now this very long thread explains that such a connection (ODBC)
does not work

Er... all I said was that it didn't work for me; maybe I'm doing
something wrong.

 If there is no solution for the problem I must skip LO-Base.

Don't give up; surely there must be _someone_ who has it working.
Lets try and find them.

a report engine - which also seems to be impossible.

Oh, no.

regards,

Tony