Hi noibs,

noibs schrieb:
[..]
I'm a college professor who writes his own teaching materials.  Each course
features roughly a 400-page Writer document that contains a variety of
inline graphical objects created in Draw or Calc and then pasted in as a GDI
Metafile.  Usually, I need to resize those images and having visible margins
REALLY helps that process.

Perhaps you only need a different workflow? Do you want to align the graphic with the left egde of the text area? Rightclick the graphic (or the surrounding frame in case of graphic with caption) and align left. Or do you not use the mouse at all? Then you need only the position&size dialog. You need not to see the page border, but LO will find it for you.

I first thought too, I would need that border. But then I find no situation, where it is really needed. So please describe a goal, where you need the border line.

Kind regards
Regina