On 06/02/2012, Gordon Burgess-Parker <gbplinux@gmail.com> wrote:
You are talking about me.
I and many many others have used the same methods of categorising and
storing data in Excel, Lotus 123, Multiplan and various other
spreadsheet applications for a great many years. It's nothing whatsoever
to do with "dispensing with traditional thought processes" at all. It's
all to do with EASE of manipulating the data and what you want
eventually to do with that data.

I think the ability to dispense with concepts conceived when
paper-based accounting was prevalent is required. If decades of using
a fundamentally wrong method is applied to new tools (e.g. "I did this
in m$, therefore this process is the only process), the flexibility of
mind to achieve the same result via a new tool (e.g. relational
database queries) is never realised.

The point about spreadsheets is that the user can manipulate and store
data in the way that THEY WANT TO and in the way that is most useful to
them.
There is NO right way or wrong way to do this.

I think you contradicted yourself, like many m$ fans do: you solved a
problem using a process that was successful using m$ (I think it was a
spreadsheet macro). Personally it would be preferable to ask: "I want
to do X; what is the best tool?" Then knowledgeable users would make
their suggestions (use calc feature X, base feature Y, etc.) and you
(and others, don't forget!) would be able to make an informed choice
of which is most appropriate for each personal preference.

It does not seem apparent that you posted to LO mail-list to ask
whether there was a better/alternative method (e.g. using a different
tool such as base) to achieved your desired result: you asked for the
same process (use a spreadsheet macro) to be applied using calc.

Those m$ users who want LO to be a nothing more than a m$ clone
(instead of being a fundamentally better product, full stop) should
make a financial donation.