On 01/18/2012 10:36 AM, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:
On 18/01/2012 at 11:52, Sylvia Schmidt<sylvia.schmidt@jielo.de>  wrote:

There aren't that
many companies around here that will print and bind books as hardcovers
with only three copies. If the company wasn't recommended by my
university I probably would have chosen a different one.
On the side of main topic:
I find it quite surprising. If that printing company is recommended by your
university, perhaps there is some kind of agreement between company and
university, and perhaps many students print their thesis in that printing
company. And yet they are unprepared for continuously numbered PDFs that have
to be printed one-sided? I doubt that MS Word makes solving your task any
easier than LO Writer.

Or maybe most students send .doc file to printing company? But that should be
more expensive, since additional editorial work has to be done (beside
printing).

Or maybe most students prepare their thesis in Adobe InDesign (which, as you
say, is capable of solving your task)? I find it quite hard to belive, since
InDesign is really expensive software. But maybe your university has special
agreement with Adobe that students can download and use InDesign for free?

Going further with offtopic, in Poland there are many small printing companies
in close neighborhood of each university building. These companies usually
have few photocopiers, few printers and one or two computers. You can print
and bind your thesis in almost every of these companies, although only in
preset hard cover (they usually say "Master thesis" or something similar on
front cover and they look like [1]). So, if you would like to have your name
or title of your thesis on your cover, it would be harder and more expensive.

Here in Poland we are used to believe that Germany is land of milk and honey.
I find it surprising that - at least in that area - in Poland we are apparently
in better position than you are. Having so many printing companies around, no
one would care about inserting real blank pages into documents - they would
just go to another company, the one that has no such prerequirements about
documents.
Another option is to print the required copies on a laser printer yourself and then have them bound. You may need special archival paper.

In the very old days, I printed my thesis and had it bound separately. I had to get special paper and format the text according to the instructions.

[1] http://www.origo.poznan.pl/Graphics/products_76ba860c-6c47-4210-
b5ad-28198cf33cb2_1.jpg
(short link: http://bit.ly/A56Nqh )

Sorry about offtopic, I just wanted to share some of my thoughts :) .

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com