http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3658280/Music_Library.odt
Music_Library.odt

I spend my days working in a Cache database that has a user front end, and
it has been years since I have built something like this in from the bottom
up, so you are reminding me of all the things I have forgotten & never knew!
Let's see if I can answer everyone's questions....

My friend took over as choir director and I have been helping her go through
the music library.  There are files and files of music - from small anthems
to full mass settings, Requiems and books of anthems.  They currently have
old card files like the old school library days - one set filed by title,
one by composer, and a third by church season.  The church has been through
some changes and  the files are a not all kept up.  We wanted to move the
directory into a database so that we could easily search for pieces
appropriate for the season, perhaps include certain instruments, etc. If I
attached the document correctly, you should see a rough draft of the type of
information we want to track.  I initially built it with several fields for
Season and Instruments, but I would rather have one field and have the data
entry person enter all that apply.  That way I could also query the one
place for the instrument or season I want when searching for music.

In looking for a program to do this, I wanted to look for something
inexpensive (the church doesn't have a lot of money), and/or easily exported
out if the church moved to something else.  (I am doing all this myself on
my mac for now.)  And I wanted to create a form that would be easy for the
volunteers to enter data, as many of the ladies are not computer savvy.  I
tried to "cheat" and modify a couple different CD/DVD library tools, but
they didn't allow the flexibility for sheet music.  I tried one database I
don't recall that was a no-go in the first 5 minutes (too clumsy), and
iDatabase.

I think I covered all the questions, but feel free to call me on it if I
didn't.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far, I am still working through all the
information.  You're really inspired me!
Marni