Hi :)
I think it helps to use an external back-end rather than the default internal one.

It sounds as though you need a few tiny tables that have a set relationship to the main table.  One
of the sub-tables would have just 2 columns; one for Id/key/reference-number and one that lists the
option you mentioned (vocal parts, church season, instruments).  Then in the main table one column
would have a relationship of 1-to-many (err, i think that way around? or would it be 1-to-1?) with
the key of that sub-table.  On the other hand it might be easier to have a flat database (like a
spreadsheet) rather than a relational one.

There is some draft documentation appearing for Base
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Guide
which might help.

Just out of curiosity please could you let us know what other database programs you have tried?
Did you manage to build-up a table of data in any of them?  If so it might be good to get Base to
use that table as it's back-end as that would solve 2 issues in one go.

Regards from
Tom :)