Hi Tom,

I've never done extensions of this sort before and I'd probably need some
help with header files/ libraries etc. and while I don't have a lot of free
time I do love fiddling and I'd love to give it a try. Who knows, I might
even learn something new.

Even if I could get something together that worked say for windows operating
systems I don't think it would be too hard to port that to other systems.

The way I imagine it would work is say for calc you could open the cell
format dialog and select numbers and then date and in the custom edit box
create you personalised format but it would be good if you could then save
that format with a friendly name and make it your default long or short date
format. Maybe that's a bit too much. But that's sort of where we need to go
or at least something along that line.
Even if there were no default options you could select a range of cells and
set the format to "my schmiko long date".

This is an approach that would fit many different cultures and it would be
possible to allow for customisation for ordinals in different languages by
creating an ordinal(number, language) object and for silly old farts like
me, allow for adding specific quoted texts to the custom format.
The ordinal function could become a format style of it's own. Select a cell
- format "Ordinal".

When you think about it we're almost there, we can already create custom
formats but not with ordinals and I don't think it is possible at the moment
to save custom formats.

Do you think this is a feasible and worthwhile project?
If I could get help in getting started I'd most certainly give it a go.
Maybe code samples of other extensions.
I probably should start by downloading the source code for LO but I wouldn't
need all that code.

I started out many years ago programming in assembler but now days I program
almost exclusively for the dot net or mono platforms and I can't even
remember how to spell things like pop, peek, push, poke or jump. :-)    (mmm
I'm not sure --- was there a 'Poke'?)

Cheers,

Bruce Carlson