On 11/30/2011 03:44 AM, Julius Becker wrote:
Hi at all,

although I like a passionate discussion, it would be nice if we could
focus on the problem:

In French, you HAVE TO use the ordinal number for the very first day
of the month when you use the format "1er décembre 2011" (30 novembre
2011). That's mandatory. Even other Romance languages (like Italian,
Spanish and Portuguese) usally/often use it (1º dicembre 2011, 1º de
Diciembre 2010, 1º de dezembro). So, products should make this
possible.

Products like LibreOffice should even make it possible to write "30th
November 2011". I'm no expert of the English language, but according
to the Wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date#Expressing_dates_in_spoken_English),
that format isn't completly unusual.

Kind regards,

Julius

Apropos of the latter, when I was in the Air Force, some 50 years ago,
I was taught that dates should be written 30 November 2011.  Knowing
the military, it's unlikely to have changed.  And I still write dates that
way.  When I write a letter in LO, I simply _write_ the date, I don't depend
on the software to do it.  If, for some reason, I need it multiple places, I
can always copy and paste it.

--doug