On 11/29/2011 08:00 PM, TomW wrote:
On 2011-11-29 09:48, James Finnall wrote:
Hello List,

For years with OpenOffice I was able to use a document as template to print my photos on 8 1/2"x11" photo paper by reloading the document and simply replacing the images.

I think it was UBuntu version 11 that changed me over to LibreOffice. I have found that my documents seem to load and print just fine as they were originally saved. But I have not been able to locate a method to replace the graphic images in a document, either by the top menu or by right clicking the image.

The only way I have found is to delete the image and then insert the new image from scratch! This is most difficult for precise image size and placement. I use a standard aspect on my camera (3:2) and have the image size for all four photos exactly the same. They are also positioned to allow just a barely visible white line between the photos for cutting. And the margins are set to be allowed on my printer without the images being cropped off.

To duplicate all these settings on every image is way too time consuming. I need to be able to simply change the image in the four graphic entities without effecting size, placement or aspect ratio of the original image.

Anybody have any suggestions that I might try to replace the images of a document?

Thank you,
James

James:

If all you are doing is using the template to print the picture, then you could just link the image to your template. Then when you want to print a new picture, just change the link in the document to the new picture.

From LibreOffice Help:

   "Inserting Bitmaps

A bitmap image can be inserted in LibreOffice Writer, LibreOffice Calc, LibreOffice Draw and LibreOffice Impress documents.

  1.

     Choose *Insert - Picture - From File*.

  2.

     Select the file. In the *File type* box you can restrict the
     selection to certain file types.

  3.

     Click the *Link* box if you want a link to the original file.

     If the *Link* box is marked, whenever the document is updated and
     loaded the bitmap image is reloaded. The editing steps that you
     have carried out in the local copy of the image in the document
     are re-applied and the image is displayed.

     If the *Link* box is not marked, you are always working with the
     copy created when the graphic was first inserted.

     To embed graphics that were first inserted as links, go to *Edit -
     Links* and click the *Break Link* button.

  4.

     Click *Open* to insert the image."

You can change the picture from the menu Edit|Links
or
In the Picture properties dialog, select the Picture Tab, there you can change the picture link.

TomW

Thank you Tom for the information. I had not tried the link feature because it was greyed out and would not allow me to change it. But from your help above I could see how to create the images as links. So I did try it and it appears to work very well. I can say that this is almost the same process as I was doing before by selecting the file name from the dialog or typing it in directly. Since most all of my images have the same aspect ratio this is certainly a possibility for me to use.

Since it appears I need to recreate my photo layouts for this, I think I will use the same image just as a place holder with the document itself. It can be used many times across many documents. Then open the doc and change the links to the photos I want printed but discard when completed.

Thank you again and it appears this will be the best way for me resolve my problem.
James