doug wrote:
I'd like to make LO Writer default to saving everything in .rtf format.  The
.odf is not readable by people with
Microsoft software, which is most of the world.  If so, how?  (Running
version 3.4.4)

To change the default format when saving: "Tools" -> "Options..." ->
"Load/Save" -> "General".  Under the section "Default file format and
ODF settings" you can change the default file format for saving.
Under "Document type" click the drop-down and select "Text document".
Then under the "Always save as" drop-down, select the format you want.

I would suggest not using "Rich Text Format" (rtf), for various
reasons; it may be better to stick with the older "Microsoft Word
97/2000/XP/2003" (doc) format.  As far as I'm aware, "ODF Text
Document" (odt) is compatible with most word processors (including
Microsoft Office Word), but you are free to use the format you're
comfortable with.

Regards
Stephan