Le 13/10/11 08:14, John Talbut a écrit :

Hi John,

Now, to my situation.  First of all I am using Debian GNU/Linux testing
distribution.  I use LibreOffice and for my database needs I use base. I
use the built in HSQLDB database application and have my data tables
embedded in the .odb file.

This has worked adequately (clunkily I would say, but I will keep other
difficulties out of this discussion).  However, base has recently become
unusably slow in response to something that has changed in openjdk (I
have asked about this elsewhere).

This is your problem. It is not LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org, but the JDK
version which is causing the problem. Furthermore, it is not even the
first time that such a change has caused the very same issue of poor
performance. So if anyone is to blame, it is Oracle. The solution is to
already been posted in this list and will be in the mailing list archives.

This has prompted me to revisit the question of whether to separate out
my data tables.  I am wondering whether it might be a workaround for the
slowness problem.  Also there may be advantages in backing up data
separately and having it less vulnerable to anything going wrong in
LibreOffice.

I honestly don't think that separating out your tables will make any
difference, especially if you have a large number of fields or even only
a moderate number of records(tuples) in your table - performance will be
hit nonetheless with the most current version of the JDK (u24 I believe).

Alex