Whether a down-level software version will even accept an ODF 1.2 document as if it is a down-level
document and do the best it can is not something the ODF specifications address.  It depends on the
down-level product.

It probably works with OpenOffice.org versions, but maybe not with other lineages.

For example, the Microsoft Office ODF 1.1 support tends to be strict and will consider some ODF 1.2
documents as possibly-corrupted, although when asked to attempt to correct the document, it
succeeds.

There are some uses of new features (such as digital signatures) that fail in amazing ways between
implementations, even when they are all identified as 1.2 products.

In these edge situations, usually the only assured-to-be-successful consumer is a version of the
same product that produced the document.  There is work to do in that area.  It may take a year or
two for ODF 1.2 support to settle down and the level of interoperability to be raised across the
board.