Q: "Am I correct to assume that ODF 1.2 is backward compatible? I.e. an old
application will still be able to open a ODF 1.2 document?"

A: It depends.  There are provisions in ODF 1.2 that, if exercised in an ODF 1.2, make it unlikely
that an ODF 1.1 consumer could handle it properly.  Also, the document will be identified as an ODF
1.2 document and possibly in unexpected places that might interfere with an ODF 1.1 consumer.

More A: In general, documents identified as 1.2 often have nothing that requires an ODF 1.2
consumer and they will be successfully handled.  There is no downward compatibility promise in 1.2
and there is no special provision, as some standards have, to help a down-level consumer detect and
work around up-level features it was not designed for.

Q: "I assume you didn't use LO Writer to compose the 1217 page document. Which program did you use"

A: All of the document production was in ODF.  The editable forms of the documents are ODT files,
and these are provided as the authoritative versions of the specification, along with PDF and HTML
versions that are not authoritative.  Since most of the work was completed by the end of 2010,
OpenOffice.org versions were used.  Also, some special XSLT scripts were used to create some of the
content, such as cross-references and statement of XML dependencies that are derived by
consultation of the schema.

More A: I am currently working on an Errata for ODF 1.1 and that work is being done in LO 3.3.2,
including a change-tracked version of the ODF 1.1 specification that shows the Errata applied. (I
won't change LO versions until the document is completed.)  Also, an Amendment for the ISO version
of ODF 1.0 was produced in ODF, although the documents circulated for approval at ISO are PDFs.  At
this time, I do any creation of ODF documents for production purposes using LibreOffice.  (By the
way, I am an editor on Part 3 only, the smallest part of the specification.)

 - Dennis

I believe that a solid open file format is extremely important.

Am I correct to assume that ODF 1.2 is backward compatible? I.e. an old
application will still be able to open a ODF 1.2 document?

Dennis, one curiosity since you were one of the editors: I assume you didn't
use LO Writer to compose the 1217 page document. Which program did you use?
Scribus?