Hi :)
Are you sure that's not a password rather than a signature?  I had a similar 'problem' at work = ie
that is was unexpectedly easy to open a document that was supposed to be protected in some way.

Now i am wondering if my works file was just signed when it should have been password protected.
Of course it's impossible to find out from the accounts department exactly what they were trying to
do and what they really ended up doing.
Regards from
Tom :)