ODF uses a standard container as well (though not the same as Microsoft Office formats).

I've sent a less-technical explanation that might help folks try out digital signing in LO (or at
least checking the signing of a received ODF file in LO).

Does the available API also allow verification of signatures?  I ask because LO appears to ignore
any digital signature when opening a signed MS Office document.

 - Dennis