Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:33:09 +0100
From: tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk

Hi :)
MS don't implement their standard in the way that they wrote they would.  Having set a standard
anyone that follows that standard is guaranteed to produce things that are a little wonky when
opened in MS Office.  LO devs work at getting LO's implementation as wonky as MS's but the
wonkiness is the unknown factor.

Hi Tom,

Ok, I can accept that. But then, aren't we back to a 'secret format'? If I implement a standard to
write out a file a certain way and do it in another way that isn't documented then I'm not
following the standard and, thus, my filetype is secret. The only way it's *not* secret is if they
file is written to the standard without any deviations.

At first, I thought 'ok, so this means MS has published a standard that other vendors can write to
and MS will has implemented that standard (in addition to their secret one) so that MSO can always
properly read other vendor created MSO files". But that's not the case. There are times, it seems,
when LibO files are improperly rendered in MSO.

So, apparently, the 'standard' really doesn't mean anything because that's not really what
Microsoft is doing.

Anthony