On 09/14/2011 04:14 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 22:15, Steven Shelton<steven@sheltonlegal.net>  wrote:
This is the only comment that I will make on this, and I think it's
pretty self-explanatory as to why MS formats need to be supported.

I work as an attorney. One of the frequent requirements from judges is
that we deliver copies of our proposed orders to them in MS Word format.

I am in no position to tell a judge that he is using the "wrong" format
and needs to install a plug-in on his county-owned and -maintained
computer--which he may not even have the authority, let alone the
know-how, to do--so that he can read the files I send him.

If LibO stops supporting MS Office files, I will have no choice and will
be forced to discontinue using LibO. I suspect the same is true of
people who work in a more corporate setting, as opposed to a judicial one.

This is also valid in an academic setting. My experience with Open
Office while in university: the professors made available Word
documents. If your computer could not read it, then use the computer
in the library to print it. End of story.

DO NOT worry.
LibreOffice will not stop using Word formats for loading and saving. LibreOffice wants to be your MSO alternative. If it does not support MSO formats, then it cannot be, thus it should not happen. Actually, every new 3.4.x update reads/writes the newest MSO formats better than the previous one [as far as I can tell and heard from others].

I do not like the idea of people wanting LO to dump its main compatibility feature that is needed if we want LO to gain market share as a replacement to MSO in businesses and governments. MSO file formats are the business standard. LO will support that standard. I would like to see ODF become the standard, now that is the ISO for office file formats. MSO formats will still be used by businesses even if ODF takes over, so at that point LO will still need to support MSO formats.