On 9/9/11 12:21 AM, Dave Sergeant wrote:
On 8 Sep 2011 at 14:31, Ken Springer wrote:

With all due respect Tom, the problem is you and the tools you've chosen
to use for replying to newsgroups.  Yahoo Mail just plain sucks and
doesn't properly do anything right for places like this.

I think that single paragraph explains why this thread has become so
heated. YOU are reading this list on a NEWSGROUP. But the list is also
available as a EMAIL LIST and an archive of that same EMAIL LIST on
Nabble. I would hazard a guess that the vast majority are subscribed to
the email list or view it on Nabble, and as such consider it as an
email list and not a newsgroup.

You've brought up a point, Dave, I hadn't thought of. I do use the Gmane interface.

Since you mentioned Nabble, it once again made me wonder if the display there was a mirror to the list I see in Thunderbird, so I checked. And it is. Which is the way I would organize an online help system. I am suspecting that by using folders and threading in Thunderbird, I could accomplish a very similar display. But I would have to constantly delete the email to have some free space on the hard drive! :-D

When I get some time, aka after the summer work season is over, I'll have to remember to take a more in depth look at the Nabble interface.

Newsgroup people have shown over the years to have different practices
than emailers. Bottom posters probably predominate, also the practice
of long quotes seems far more prevalent there. And noting the comments
about threading, most newsgroup readers do it via the header
information. Email clients do it in various ways and I suspect Pegasus
is far from unique in doing if from the subject line - and many email
programs have never heard of threading...

I used to use my Yahoo account regularly, but am dropping it. I don't remember it being able to thread either, but it does have filters to direct mail to folders.

I do receive a number of lists via newsgroups, using Gravity. But I by
far prefer email so this is my chosen option for this list.

Gravity???  The messages just fall out of the sky??????   :-D

My apologies, I just couldn't resist!

We are never going to agree on these issues due the huge differences in
opinion between the newsgroup, email and forum people. So let us close
these threads immediately and accept our differences.

The users don't have to agree. LO needs to set up something more official in the way of netiquette than what they have now. And regardless of which interface is used, i.e. the mailing list, Nabble, or Gmane, require and enforce the netiquette rules they develop.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 6.0.2