On 9/8/11 12:10 PM, Tom Davies wrote:
<snip>

Besides it doesn't matter how strong the argument against top-posting might be.
> The fact is that it is widely used especially by office workers.

So, if painting graffiti all over walls and buildings was widely done, you'd be OK with them painting graffiti all over *your* walls and buildings?

Just because something is widely practiced, doesn't make it right or acceptable.

Think about it, even when you use the different programs in the LO suite, you're following the rules aren't you? :-)

Do we want to stop officeworkers from using LibreOffice?  Alienating them would be a
> good way to get them to stay with whatever else they already use.

Following the rules will not make them stop using LibreOffice. Giving them an office package full of bugs that never get fixed, promising features that never arrive, and providing poor support is what will make them stop using Libre Office.

<snip>

Most people would rather use forums anyway as mailing lists are ancient
and out-dated.

They may be "ancient", but not necessarily out-dated. It all depends on what is comfortable with the reader. I had a hard time with LO's mailing list, and almost gave up and moved on.

Then, I learned about the Gmane interface, not from LO's (IMO their crappy website, which I will comment on in that group when I have some free time) but from a mailing list post. Since then, except when things went south due to address changes, I've used exclusively since then. And will continue to do so. Nabble can go the way of the Kiwi bird, for all I care! :-D

So, do we want to go the route of betamax, ie obscurity, or do we want to get LibreOffice
> out there and being used?

If you provide a good, solid package, and just spread the word about it, it will be used.

Tom, what are you doing differently with your posts than you were doing earlier? I use Thunderbird via Gmane, and your messages look just fine. But when I hit Reply, each of your paragraphs turn into a loooooooooooooong sentence that I have to reformat manually in order to write a legible, and properly formatted (following the rules) reply.

It didn't used to be this way.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8