[Thanks Cor, I caught this one on time. New thread - this is not about the original users problem
at all.]

I have no idea what it means to be using 1.2 extended (other than it being the recommended default).

There is no way to identify an ODF document as "1.2 extended".  There's also no way to tell as an
user whether a document written with that option set *actually* depends on a LibreOffice extension
or not.  Using 1.1 as my output format, or using 1.2 as my output format (not extended), I have
never received a warning that my document uses features that are not supported by the target
format.  I don't know if that is because I have not done anything to require an extension or
because I am not being told.

And finally, I have no way of telling what another consumer will do if an actual extension feature
is encountered in a document identified as being ODF 1.2.  (Well, I know what ODF 1.2 suggests be
done. I will sort-of know what MSFT products will actually do, assuming that implementation notes
come along for any support of ODF 1.2 from Redmond.  I also don't know what the ODF 1.1 support
will do to ODF 1.2 features not in ODF 1.1 or extensions beyond 1.2.  I wonder if it is possible to
know that much from current MSFT ODF 1.1 implementation notes.  I must go look.)

In short, I have no idea how to answer this question.

I am on the OASIS Technical Committee for ODF Interoperability and Conformance (the OIC TC).  I
hope that efforts there can help take some of the unknowns out of what I just said.  That is not
the current state of affairs.

 - Dennis

PS: Concerning your second question, Microsoft has participants on the ODF TC who've contributed
considerable effort in polishing the OpenFormula specification, along with folks affiliated with
OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice, Lotus Symphony, Gnumeric (very big thank you to Andreas Guelzow) and
others.  There were also great contributors on the comment lists.  There is a ballot underway
*this*very*week* to advance the ODF 1.2 Committee Specification 01 to ODF 1.2 Candidate OASIS
Standard and subsequent approval by the OASIS membership.  That would be the last step.

There are no secrets in this process.  Here is the current status of the electronic ballot now in
progress: <http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ballot.php?id=2101>.  See for yourself.  It hasn't
passed yet, but I have no doubt that it will, and without any "No" votes. (I am on
leave-of-absence, so you don't see my name there.  I am an eligible Voting Member.)

Participants from Microsoft have not voted against advancement of this specification toward
becoming a standard even once.  Not once.  Not ever on the ODF TC.  To my limited knowledge,
participants representing National Bodies at the ISO and also associated with Microsoft have never
voted against approval of ODF or any updates to ODF that have been made so far at ISO.  That's not
where No votes seem to come from in that particular document-standards cat-fight and fud-match.