For Linux/UBuntu - I go to the HP site and go through the links for the HP Linux drivers site. I do not know about Gutenprint drivers for HP or any other printer, but the "shell" install file I get from the HP Linux driver site works well for both my HP color laser 2600 and my HP PSC 1410.

It was more of a link trail, plus more files to install, to get my Epson Artisan 810 [new] to USB or Network print with Ubuntu, but there is no Epson scanner driver that works for it.

CUPS is what both the HP and Epson printer drivers are "accessing" for for the actual printing, I believe.
I also use CUPS/pdf as my default printer.