On Sat, 2011-05-14 at 08:38 -0400, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions wrote:
On 05/14/2011 07:32 AM, toki wrote:

On 13/05/2011 19:38, planas wrote:

Do publishers really care what program was actually used to create it?
Yes.

I would assume they would not care as long as they get something in the appropriate format.
OK I sent a message to my wife's old college roommate who does book
editing, from time to time.  Since she is a professional editor [and
artist], maybe she will be able to give me a clear answer on what
format[s] publishers would like to see manuscripts in.

Hopefully she will give me an answer soon.

I'm an also editor and a writer who has worked with some of the book and
journal publishers. In my experience, it depends entirely on the
publisher. Some (particularly those doing technical books) are likely to
want specific formatting, or the use of particular programs to produce
files, as jonathan described.

Other publishers want PDFs or Word documents done in a particular
layout.

Other publishers want authors to provide Word documents with NO
formatting at all, or minimal formatting, because they will do all the
page layout themselves. For those publishers, the first thing an editor
does is strip out all the formatting the author has put in.

Then there are printers who deal with PDFs. Some (such as Lightning
Source) demand that the PDFs be produced using Adobe Acrobat because
they have found that their digital printers don't handle well some PDFs
produced by other programs... and troubleshooting those problem PDFs is
too time-consuming and expensive.

So as jonathan says, it's very important to find out what the
requirements of a particular publisher or printer may be. Most of them
will tell you, usually in the instructions to authors (or publishers in
the case of printers).

--Jean
Jean Hollis Weber