________________________________
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com>
To: users@libreoffice.org
Sent: Fri, 13 May, 2011 9:53:27
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Complex page styles for book layout

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 20:53 -0700, rdb wrote:
Hi guys,

I am trying to set up a template for a book, but I am struggling to find a
way to set up the page styles to make them conform to the publisher's style
sheet. Here is what they are asking for:

<snip> ... </snip>

has two different page numbering systems, one with Roman and one with Arabic
numerals, with different styles for left and right pages
allows the first page of each chapter to have no header at all
allows that first page to occur on a left and a right page
allows for one-page chapters

Ideally, I'd like to accomplish all this in a reasonably elegant way,
without splitting up all my styles into substyles. Anybody knows how that
would work?

I'll expand upon my previous answer. Don't use Left Page/Right Page if
the only difference is that margins are mirrored and the info in headers
and/or footers is different. Use a mirrored page style instead. Then the
lefts and rights will take care of themselves when they follow a first
page style. You can set the First Page style to be "left and right" (it
defaults to right only).

Jean

Hi :)
Sorry!  My bad.  I didn't realise LibreOffice could do all the stuff that was
required.  At work they are trying to use Word in a very inelegant way to
produce a newsletter.  With only 16pages and only a small handful of pictures
the machines grinds to a very wobbly almost halt.  They have been talking about
buying a DTP to do the work (even tho there are better OpenSource
alternatives).  So, if the problem is likely to be their inelegance and if LO
might be able to do the job better than they manage in Word then it would be
great for me to explore the option.
Apols, thanks and regards from
Tom :)