On Thu, 05 May 2011 09:33:31 -0700, George Rodier <gwgr@shaw.ca>
wrote, perhaps among other things:

Caveat, I am new to the LibreOffice users list. Please do let me know
where I should direct my suggestion.

As a Canadian I recently attended LinuxFest Northwest in Bellingham, WA.
It was a great event and LibreOffice was well represented there.

All went well until I heard some folk calling it LeeBRAY-office. Ouch!
Please, there is NO accent on the final letter in 'libre'- so no
braying, eh?

While there is no accent on the "e" in Libre, we're all familiar with
the delightful beverage called a "Cuba Libre", which is indeed
pronounced "LEE-bray", or at least close enough for non
hispanohablantes, and which lacks the accent (I'd describe it as a
"short long 'e' sound)..  It is indeed how "Libre" would be pronounced
by my Tucsonan citymates.

May I suggest that somewhere on their site LibreOffice give suggestions
for pronouncing the product name in English.

To my ears 'LEEbruh' would be close (Lee as in Bruce Lee or even Robert
E. Lee and 'bruh' like the first syllable of brother in American).

LEEbruh is a constellation, although I'm sure many more folks who
follow the insanity of astrology use it than do astronomers.

No doubt a proper linguist could give better instruction. Please do.

I had 6 or 7 linguistics classes, but that was about 40 years ago. I'm
sure the language has moved on since then.

Georges
--
"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell."
                                 -- Ed Abbey